Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A STAR is Born... from Viva Las VegaStamps! and 7 Dots Studio Goodness!



Welcome to Viva Las Vegastamps! Susan here today to share a handmade star book created using 7 Dots Studio Papers and my stash of VLVS!. I love making mini books for gifts and the double sided 12" x 12" cardstock is so beautiful - I knew it would make a perfect gift for my husbands' niece {her birthday is the same as mine}. She's 16 and I just know she will love this. I have to say - my stash of Miracle Tape made this so much easier than using glue stick as I have in the past... so easy and no sticky-gooey fingers.


Since I wanted to get the most mileage out of the 12 x 12 sheets, I used some strips of natural cardstock offcuts from work as my book base {I don't get offcuts of paper often at the printshop where I work, but when I do it comes in handy}. The size of them are 4 1/4" x 23" so I cut 7 sheets at 15" wide and also 13 1/2" wide; then scored to fold in half making long rectangular pages This will be a nice variation from the dozens of square books I've made previously. I cut the 7 Dots Studio Papers to 4 1/4" x 12". I like to make the book have a little more detail so I use the scraps and stitch them into the center of the book base pages. These sections were 4 1/4" x 3 1/2" and 4 1/4" x 2" - each then scored to fold in half. Before I assemble I swipe the edges of all sheets with coordinating colors of Cats Eye Chalk Inks to get rid of the white edges.


I decided my order of colors and patterns and nested the smaller pieces inside the largest base pages and punched two holes for stitching using a pushpin.


For each of the sections, I laced some May Arts natural burlap twine and tied a knot on the inside to secure. Now I have 7 little booklets sections.


I again arranged my sections by color and pattern as I wanted them in order in preparation for adhering the layered nesting pages. These nesting pages float freely and are adhered aligned to the edge of the page using 3/8" Miracle Tape. You can vary the amount of pages and dimensions to add more rays to the star book.


Keeping my sections in order, I used 1" Miracle Tape to adhere the sections together by taping the largest cardstock base pages back-to-back. This makes for a nice sturdy book. There are simpler ways to make a star book - I am just all about the "EXTRA" little details. You can leave out the stitched portion to make it quicker.


Now with my book assembled I added more Miracle Tape {I would have used Miracle Sheets, except I didn't have enough to do the job}. A adhered green crinkle satin May Arts Ribbon loosely around the spine area and layered more miracle tape over the top. I also added a blue sheer organza ribbon around the length to tie the book closed and layered tape over this as well. All this extra taping ensures the book and the ribbon won't pull apart.

 

I cut two sections of scrap chipboard to fit the cover and leaving a slight overhang; then wrapped with the gorgeous blue 7 Dots Studio "Love Is In The Air" patterned paper and my remaining Miracle Sheet cut to size... easy peasy!

Using a couple of the leftover patterned paper scraps, I stamped a quote and collage for the cover and matted onto navy blue cardstock leftover from my November T!m Tag; layering images in blue and black ink for added depth. **A NOTE** I started to stamp directly onto the cover AFTER I assembled and messed it up... yep this is a total "COVER UP". Note to self... stamp your cover art before mounting to book because it's not flat!!!

a STAR is Born...



I finished off with glittery We R Memory Keepers Sticker letters that matched perfectly and a few clear sticky-back bling colored to match with a green permanent marker. VOILA! All I need is a fancy pen and this gift is good to go :)

Would you LOVE to be a part of this Awesome team of Stamp Addicts???
Here's your chance!!! CLICK HERE for all the details... hurry up Nov. 30th is the deadline.


• • • • • • • • • • • • •

Viva Las VegaStamps used: Bulls Eye Target Solid #19196Bulls Eye Target Open #19193"Be Adorable..." #19038"Dream" #18886"Inspire" #18888"Time Flies" #19008Large Bird Flying Left #19001Hot Air Balloon with Flags #19006; Flying Watch #19004; Card Suits #14109; Writing Arrow #19078; Paris Address #17539; Steampunk Heart Small #16010; and Dotted line from the December Daily Plate #1430. Supplies used: Natural Cardstock; scrap chipboard; Stuart Superior Black Memories Ink; Ancient Page Cobalt Blue Waterproof Ink; Miracle Tape 3/8"Miracle Tape 1"; Miracle Sheets; Clearsnap Cats Eye Chalk Inks; WeR Memory Keepers "Feelin' Groovy" Alphabet Stickers; May Arts fibers and Ribbon; Blue sheer organza ribbon.

http://vivalas.blogspot.com/2013/11/november-challenge.html

Thanks so much for dropping by. Have you entered the monthly challenge - you have a couple days left. Make a creation using the the November inspiration and your stash of VLVS! stamps... you could win more RUBBER! CLICK HERE for challenge details. Also, you definitely want to subscribe to the blog feed and to the Viva Las VegaStamps! newsletter to be IN THE KNOW of everything going on at the Viva Las Vegastamps! store. There's so much amazing inky inspiration to see!

If you would like to see more of my creations please visit my blog, sbartist : painting in the dark HERE. I'll be back soon with another stamping adventure!  Sb

2 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

Beautiful project! I want to make one soon!

Tera Callihan said...

Great project! I love that cover!