Wednesday, November 13, 2013

GO AWAY!!! Unless You are Taking Stamping to a Whole New Dimension...


Welcome to Viva Las Vegastamps! Susan here today with a twist on stamping. I love to stamp, but I am a total addict of molding and shaping things using Amazing Crafting Products. Today's project welcomes you to the wide world of dimension and a new kitschy jewelry piece using the "Unwelcome Mat Large #14973" image from Viva Las VegaStamps!


I have had this Unwelcome Mat stamp for quite some time and I did attempt to make a pendant with shrink plastic... but it came out very dark after the shrinking process. So that was a fail. With my molding adventures with last month's T!m Tags, a lightbulb went off and I thought, "what if I cast of mold of this stamp with the new Amazing Mold Rubber?"

 

I quickly and easily formed a mold box by wrapping and burnishing a couple layers scotch tape around the edge of the stamp to contain the liquid silicone poured on top. I prepared stamp by rubbing with vegetable oil to act as resist.

 

The detail of the Amazing Mold Rubber is so awesome and I couldn't wait to cast my new mold. I got out my Ranger Perfect Pearls, and with a dry brush applied the colors directly to the mold. I mixed up a small batch of Amazing Casting Resin {an opaque white 10 minute cure resin}, and poured into my mold. Like a kid on Christmas morning I couldn't wait to see the results...


A glorious and wonderfully colored FAIL!!! The type is backwards... YIKES!!!


So what's a girl to do??? Reverse the mold using Amazing Mold Putty {thanks DeeDee for the quick solution <3}. I will do this again using Amazing Mold Rubber {except due to the extended curing time and that I need to get more Amazing Mold Rubber... I opted to go with a quick 1/2 hour fix with the mold putty}. I mixed up a batch of Amazing Mold Putty and pressed into the silicone mold. Doing this makes the curing time take about twice as long, since the silicone cools the mold putty extending the curing process.


When fully cured I gently peeled the mold putty reverse from the silicone mold. It's not quite as detailed as the silicone Amazing Mold Rubber mold, but it's pretty good. I had to mix another batch of mold putty to add a border to hold the resin - yep the amazing mold putty sticks to itself so you can build all sorts of shaped molds... and make repairs and adjustments, too!

 

Now after a second curing of about 20 minutes... I'm back to coloring.  I again added various colors of Ranger Perfect Pearls applied with a dry paintbrush.

 

 I mixed up another small batch of Amazing Casting Resin and poured into this new mold.


Winner... Winner... Chicken Dinner!!! I wasn't going to rest until I resolved this issue. I drilled two small holes to hold wire wrapped gold loops and added lime green fun fur and satin ribbon to finish.

Welcoming a Kitschy Necklace...


Here's both versions side-by-side so that you can see the difference in detail between the two molding products. For extreme detail, the Amazing Mold Rubber wins hands down. I will finish the backwards version and wear out to survey how many people really get the joke. So I hope you are inspired to take your stamping to a new dimension...


• • • • • • • • • • • • •

Viva Las VegaStamps used: Unwelcome Mat Large #14973. Supplies used: Amazing Mold RubberAmazing Casting Resin, and Amazing Mold Putty by Amazing Crafting Products; Ranger Perfect Pearls; Gold 20 gauge wire; lime green satin ribbon and fun fur fiber; patience and a kwirky sense of humor.

http://vivalas.blogspot.com/2013/11/november-challenge.html

Thanks so much for dropping by. Have you entered the monthly challenge? Make a creation using the the November inspiration and your stash of VLVS! stamps... you could win more RUBBER! CLICK HERE for challenge details. Also, you definitely want to subscribe to the blog feed and to the Viva Las VegaStamps! newsletter to be IN THE KNOW of everything going on at the Viva Las Vegastamps! store. There's so much amazing inky inspiration to see!

If you would like to see more of my creations please visit my blog, sbartist : painting in the dark HERE. To follow Sandra, DeeDee and myself over at the Amazing Mold Putty Blog CLICK HERE. I'll be back soon with another stamping adventure!  Sb

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is absolutely gorgeous. I love the fact that we can use both the products at the same time to make beautiful creations

Tera Callihan said...

So fun! I could use one of these signs for the holidays!