Monday, November 18, 2013

We Can't All Be Saints

We can't All Be Saints, ALassiter When I first saw the Nun Licking Gun stamp I giggled a lot, and then immediately thought of a way to incorporate this stamp into a silly project, using a lot of up-cycled materials and ephemera I have hanging around my studio.  
   I started with a large shipping tag, and used some old book pages from a religious text, that had been thrown into a bin outside the library that I work at. I tore the pages into strips, and added them to the tag horizontally, adhering with a craft and hobby glue. When the glue had dried, I added splashes and flicks of aqua and Caribbean blue paint, and dried it with my craft dryer. I took Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Teal, and sprayed it twice onto my craft mat. I then used a paintbrush to paint the ink onto the edges of the tag, and to add a few splashes cross the tag.
saints, close title
   
  Before adding my ephemera, I stamped with Momento ink in Tuxedo Black , using the cracked background and Stars 2 x 2 1/4 stamps, to add a little pizazz. 
wings, ephemera 
                                            

stamp, Saint, Alassiter

When the stamping was finished, I cut the beautiful saint ephemera from a book, and layered it along the right side of the tag, embellishing with wing, upcycled jewelry piece, and feathers on top of a strip of text that has been pleated and sprayed with color shine in teal.








Finally, I added the image that changed the whole tone of the project, the nun with a gun, which was stamped using black ink, and embossed, using ultra high gloss embossing powder. To draw attention to the image, I elevated it using foam adhesive, and added a strip of trim, and a stamped and cut star pin image, along with a hanging coin.

In the end, I have a project that's not meant to offend, but certainly has a lot of sass, to counter the lovely and saintly ephemera art.  

Thanks for having a look today, and grab your tag, and get to stamping! 

~Amy

Supply List:
Viva Las VegaStamps! Stamps:
Nun Licking Gun, Star Pin, Cracked Background,  Stars 2 x 2 1/4
Ink and Embossing Powder, found in the Viva Las VegaStamps! store: Momento Ink in Tuxedo Black, High Gloss Embossing Powder
Tag: Uline
Metal Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology, Bead Landing, vintage
Lace Trim: Gauche Alchemy
Ribbon, Gold Cord, feathers: from my stash

6 comments:

Tera Callihan said...

Fun piece!

Tera Callihan said...

Fun piece!

Katherine Clayton said...

OMG!!! What a super fun tag!!! It didn't offend me...in fact, it made me laugh out loud (many times). Seriously, this is an AMAZING piece of art. :) Thanks so much for sharing...and for the inspiration!!!

by belle said...

Amy!! You always have such fun bits and bobs on your work!! Love it!

Karen said...

Great tag-love that color blue & the added metal!

Camerageek said...

Love it!, the gun licking nun always makes me think of that one Beatles song.